Pollution is deemed to be the contamination of the earth’s environment that is severely dangerous for human health. Air pollution is the most hazardous type of pollution that majorly impacts our skin. That’s the reason why it is essential to safeguard your skin when you go out in pollution.
There are a bunch of skin ailments whose root cause is air pollution. But only a few of us are aware of it; the lack of awareness further worsen the situation. Expensive skin treatments due to air pollution can be hefty on your financial life. However, with Bajaj Finserv Health Card, you can cover your expenses and pay in small instalments.
While there are such financial aids to cover your medical expenses, it is indispensable to look after your skin and prevent damage from air pollution.
In this particular article, we will be shedding light on the subject “why it is necessary to secure your skin from air pollution”. If you have not given a thought to it yet, this article will provide you with ample things to ponder over.
What Are The Types of Air Pollution?
When we talk about air pollution that can affect your skin, there are a bunch of ways in which polluted air exists in our environment. Here are a few common types that you can witness every day:
- Exhaust from automobiles: One of the major causes of air pollution in our environment is the exhaust from our vehicles. It is important to adopt vehicles with lesser gaseous emissions.
- Cigarette Smoke: People who smoke contribute a lot to the air pollution in the environment. Hence, it is advised to not smoke and aware others regarding its consequences.
- Phthalates from plastic: Plastic is a hazardous material for the environment. When we burn plastic, phthalates are formed, which adds to the air pollution.
- VOCs like asbestos: These are small matter generally found in elements like asbestos. They are mildly dangerous to the environment.
- Smog: The combination of smoke and fog results in the fog that becomes a major air pollutant. It is generally found in metropolitan cities like Delhi.
- Ultraviolet Rays: Rays from the sun are also hazardous when you get exposed to them in excess.
What Are The Common Damages Caused By Air Pollution?
You cannot ignore the presence of polluting elements in the environment. These elements are absorbed by the skin that can go extremely bad for the skin’s health. The hair follicles or subcutaneous tissue on the skin rapidly soak the pollutants, and repeated absorption results in damage.
The pollutants absorbed into the skin create oxidative stress that counters the antioxidant defence of the skin. The oxygen on the skin gradually depletes and leads to skin damage. Loss of elasticity, skin aging, and wrinkles are a result of oxygen deficiency in the skin.
The Ozone gas also strips away the vitamin E that keeps the skin moisturized and nourished. Such instances can make your skin extremely dry. Overexposure to smog can result in eczema, rashes and acne. The microbiome balance of the skin is disturbed due to air pollution.
It is essential to consult the best dermatologist in Kolkata who can further advise you on how your skin needs to be protected from pollution.
Here are the common problems that you need to suffer from due to air pollution:
- Brown spots
- Uneven, dull skin
- Enlarged pores
- Skin redness
- Dry and itchy skin
How Can You Protect Your Skin From Damage?
It all depends on how considerate you are towards your skin. First, you need to understand how important it is to protect your skin. With changes in your lifestyle and some additional medical steps can prevent the damage of air pollution.
Here are a few things you can do:
- If you are living in a polluted city, make sure to use an air purifier.
- Avoid smoking and stay away from smokers
- Block the pollution by using dermatologically approved products.
The Bottom Line
Whether it is over-exposure to sun rays or the deposit of debris, daily your skin goes through a lot of abuse from the air pollution. What are you doing to prevent it? Are you even aware of air pollution’s effects on your skin?
We believe by now, you have more than sufficient reasons to believe air pollution is damaging your skin to a great extent that you don’t even know.
Don’t take your skin’s health on a lighter note and keep it rejuvenated by combating the effects of air pollution on it.